Monday, November 5, 2012

Day One of Four in Polaris


           Last week (on Friday to be precise) for my Media Literacy Education class we finally got to go into a high school classroom and teach a lesson. That might not sound very interesting; and granted, for most (even those students in the class) it really isn’t grandiose special. But it has been the first step in the culmination of all the work done this semester. As I went through the experience I tried to catalogue some of my impressions into a kind of comprehensive expression of my time in the classroom.

            First, and foremost is, I think it might be pertinent to explain why I am in a high school classroom in the first place. The class I am taking involves going into a classroom environment and trying to teach to these students some tools on making an audio documentary a la This American Life, All Things Considered, etc. Their documentaries have to constitute of a 3-5 minute story about an issue that is being addressed in the current election season. This issue can be about the general presidential election, or the more community centered political game. Either way, their documentaries have to try and take the larger issue and focus it upon their community. All well and good right? Well, let’s not celebrate just yet.

            I believe that I should serve the reader well to know that I don’t think I am a very good teacher. Now that doesn’t mean that I can’t be professorial as hell, I think I could expound and discuss for a little bit before someone figured out that I’m clueless. But, I feel that I have a hard time trying to maintain self confidence in my lesson when the average student’s desire to be in the classroom ranks somewhere between having to go to work and waiting in line at the DMV. I don’t want the reader to think that the class is made up of ingrates who’d rather be engaged in mindless acts of conceit. In fact, I found the students expressed a great deal of enthusiasm and I think that their projects have the potential to be very informative for them as well as us as, sort of, guest lecturers.

            The one problem I have is with myself. Really, it stems from having been semi instructor-ly for a college class. I can see it in a person’s eyes when their interest starts to shift elsewhere. At least for the high school students it shifted to a class mate or their paperwork, rather than a college student who might immediately whip out a smart phone or start clacking away at a laptop. At any rate though, I cannot help but feel a little angry at myself that I cannot capture a student’s attention for a full 5 minutes let alone 90. Yet this made me desire to try and work harder and do better next time I am in the room with the students. I want them to connect with their issue and to start to become more critical of not just their views, but of the views of the prevalent culture, the minority culture, and the orders of power that are prominent throughout their lives. It might be foolhardy to hope for such a thing, especially within an educational structure that has modeled their behavior with education for the majority of their lives; but I feel like I have to at least make a sincere effort in making a dent in the American Educational pedagogy.

            So that way day 1 of 4… I think I may just survive this yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment